International Women’s Day is tomorrow, a perfect opportunity to celebrate how far women’s rights have come, support the need to keep fighting for more equality around the world, and to highlight all of the amazing women in your life. For every person who identifies as a woman, this day if for you.
The theme for this year is ‘#ChooseToChallenge’ – calling for a challenged world, because “a challenged world is an alert world”.
As individuals, we are responsible for our own thoughts and actions. We can choose to challenge and call out gender bias and inequity whilst choosing to celebrate women’s achievements. From challenge comes change, so let’s all choose to challenge because together, we can all help create an inclusive world.
So, no matter how you choose to celebrate the incredible women in your life, here are some empowering quotes if you are looking for just the right thing to say to the women in your life, or simply just need a reminder of how powerful and capable you are.
- “No woman should be told she can’t make decisions about her own body. When women’s rights are under attack, we fight back.” – Kamala Harris
- “I am grateful to be a woman. I must have done something great in another life.” – Maya Angelou
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama
- “I’m tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.” – Madonna
- “We need to accept that we won’t always make the right decisions, that we’ll screw up royally sometimes – understanding that failure is not the opposite of success, it’s part of success. – Arianna Huffington
- “A woman with a voice is, by definition, a strong woman.” – Melinda Gates
- “We need to live in a culture that values and respects and looks up to and idolises women as much as men.” – Emma Watson
- “Feminism isn’t about making women strong. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” – G.D. Anderson
- “There’s something so special about a woman who dominates in a man’s world. It takes a certain grace, strength, intelligence, fearlessness, and the nerve to never take no for an answer.” – Rihanna
- “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping-stone to greatness.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “The best way for us to cultivate fearlessness in our daughters and other young women is by example. If they see their mothers and other women in their lives going forward despite fear, they’ll know it’s possible.” – Gloria Steinem
- “I raise up my voice – not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard. We cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
- “Every woman’s success should be an inspiration to another. We’re strongest when we cheer each other on.” – Serena Williams
- “A feminist is a person who believes in the power of women just as much as they believe in the power if anyone else. It’s equality, it’s fairness, and I think it’s a great thing to be a part of.” – Zendaya
- “Here’s to strong women may we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.” – Unknown