Growing up I never really watched superhero movies such as Superman or Spiderman. In fact, the only one I recall ever watching was an episode of the 1975 series Wonder Woman (this exact scene actually). In my eyes growing up, my mum was my wonder woman. The one person I could, and still can, go to for anything from a hug to heartfelt advice. Anything. She has always been there for me.
I have been taught some valuable life lessons from my mum because when you’re raised by a strong, loving, inspiring woman, there is no doubt that these things will, or already have happened to you.
- Happiness comes from within: She taught you that you can find happiness in a difficult life and to smile even when life doesn’t give you a reason for it. Your mum taught you to never depend on someone else to make you feel happy. That you can be happy and grateful for what you have. You learn to cherish all the moments whilst staying humble and positive.
- To ditch the crowd: Your mum is strong and she nurtured you in a way that allowed you to stand apart from the crowd. You learn not to get swayed away by the popular opinion, to not follow the herd. Your upbringing has been so strong that you are capable of taking on decisions on your own due to your clear-cut definitions regarding what is right and wrong. You learnt to enjoy and appreciate walking the road less traveled.
- The true meaning of unconditional love: Your mum forgoed her time, health, and youth for you, yet she never complained. You know that whatever the time may be, you can turn to her for anything. She will always be there for you, no matter how tired or busy she is. She will show you how to always love, support, and encourage everyone – including your own self. You’ve never seen a love as unconditional or selfless as what she gives, and you know you wont find that anywhere else in the world ever again.
- The true value of independence: Your mum shows you that you don’t need anyone to take care of you. You learn by example that you can own a house, raise a child, cook and clean, all while having a flourishing career because your mum showed you that it is possible. She pretty much gives you a glimpse of a real life super woman.
- What’s for you won’t go past you: She taught you how to let go of the things that are not meant for you and the people who weren’t meant to be in your life. She taught you how to never give up, even if it feels like the whole world is against you. She taught you how to have faith in yourself even when others keep doubting you. She taught you that failure does not define you, but instead what defines you is how you get back up to continue creating the life you want.
- You can be strong on the outside, yet soft on the inside: Your mum has been your rock, and rocks don’t have the attendance to cry. Your mum kept it together and stayed strong but that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t have a soft side – her hugs say it all! Running after you when you were ill, having sleepless nights just because she knew you were upset about something, or hugging you tight when you woke up screaming from a bad nightmare. The way she takes care of you, and the way she’s there for you through every single thing showed you how to be as strong as you can while staying grounded and kind at heart.
- To never look back because you’re not going that way: She taught you to let go of the “what ifs” so you have never found yourself drowning in self-pity when things didn’t go as planned or when life decided to throw a curveball. She taught you to take control of your future so you can make the best out of it. To allow the past to redeem itself as you focus on what’s to come.
- The importance of timing and keeping faith: You learn that God is looking out for you and that everything will be okay. You learn to keep faith close to your heart, even on the darkest of days. Just like the lunar phases, there will be dark times but brighter days will always come back around. All you need to do is have faith, stay patient, and trust the timings in life, in growth, in success, and in problems when they arise.
- The importance of respect and selflessness: Your mum is strong and she taught you to greatly respect your family, friends, others, nature, and most importantly, yourself. Her brilliant example is continuing to leave a profound mark on you. She showed you how to truly care for those around you and that unconditional love can exist. She leads by example when it comes to being loving, compassionate, respectful, protective, and resilient. She always leads by example, and with each passing day, you are becoming a little bit more like your own mum.
My mum has gone through so much, yet you would never know. She would go to the ends of the Earth for me, and I would do the exact same for her. I wouldn’t be the woman I am today if not for her, and for that I will always be indebted to her.